Posted July 25, 2022
Heritage Park is seeking an experienced Costume Technician to join our team. Under the direction of the Costume Designer, the Costume Technician maintains the collection of historical patterns by creating, altering, and grading patterns, as well as producing sample garments and written sewing instructions as appropriate.
Leave the modern day behind and become a member of the Heritage Park team where we offer a professional and fun work environment, on-the-job training, staff discount on food and retail, free Park admission, complimentary staff parking and the opportunity to be a part of one of Calgary’s top attractions in the most unique, exceptional setting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and grades patterns using industry standard techniques
- Cuts fabric in preparation for garment production
- Constructs more intricate costumes as needed
- Conducts fittings for tailored garments and more complicated alterations
- Designs costumes when assigned
- Co-ordinates, trains, and assists staff with sewing projects in conjunction with Seamstress
- Assists with fitting, altering, and mending of costumes when required
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Post-Secondary Education in clothing design, construction, and tailoring or equivalent experience
- Experience in industrial sewing, pattern making, and pattern grading are required
- Experience in historical or period clothing an asset
- Excellent sewing skills, with proficiency in pattern making and pattern grading
- Tailoring skills an asset
- The ability to work both independently and in a team-environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working with volunteers an asset
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week. Weekend and extra hours may be required during peak periods
The job may require some lifting, climbing safety ladders, working with industrial sewing machines and steam irons. Will be required to work alone and with others. Safety equipment and a costume may be issued; these must be worn when appropriate to the task being performed.
Candidates meeting the above criteria who wish to apply for this exciting opportunity should email their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to: [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted directly. No phone calls, please.