Posted January 31, 2020
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced and passionate professional to join our team in the role of Director, Protection Services. Reporting to the President & CEO, this position is responsible for promoting, establishing, and maintaining a secure and safe workplace and general public environment, while overseeing the Park’s Security and Shuttle Bus Transportation operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by Heritage Park employees and volunteers in compliance with municipal, provincial and federal Occupational, Health & Safety legislation;
- Inspects and monitors organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated;
- Ensures all regulatory inspections, as they pertain to fire, security, and safety are carried out and required corrections and other measures are implemented in a timely manner;
- Provides effective leadership, supervision and support to the Protection Services team;
- Develops and monitors the annual departmental budget, and adjusts it as required;
- Assists the Director of Human Resources in the implementation of the collective agreement between Heritage Park and the Union;
- Conducts the investigation of serious accidents and injuries and coordinates the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations;
- Reviews all security and injury incident reports from the organization and investigates as necessary;
- Compiles and submits incident and accident reports required by the provincial Occupational Health & Safety, City of Calgary, Senior Management, Heritage Park Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee, as well as the Board and Health, Safety and Environmental Committee;
- Liaises with Human Resources to ensure the effective administration of Worker’s Compensation Program, including assisting with the review of claims and implementing modified work initiatives in an effort to decrease lost employee time and cut back on unjust claims;
- Plans, supervises and coordinates training and information programs, which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety and security consciousness;
- Liaises with the Heritage Park Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee (JOHSC) and brings forward recommendations to Senior Management;
- Develops and implements emergency response plans for the Park and maintains safety and security files and records;
- Oversees the Pest Control Program and ensures inspections are completed and any concerns are brought to the attention of the Director responsible for the area;
- Researches and implements strategies to ensure the best possible security and crime prevention techniques;
- Continuously researches and maintains the security and fire alarm systems;
- Represents the Park before boards, committees or other bodies concerned with safety and security management and related matters;
- Ensures compliance with relevant industry standards, regulations and laws; and
- Acts as Duty Manager as required.
Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Safety, Security & Emergency Management or related field and at least five (5) years’ experience in a senior role with leadership/management responsibilities;
- Management experience in an unionized work environment/setting; and
- Must possess valid Alberta Driver's license, Provincial Security License, and Standard First Aid Level C.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, superior verbal and written communication skills, and the proven ability to communicate persuasively;
- Demonstrated high levels of initiative and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to deal with confidential information and sensitive issues in a professional and mature manner by demonstrating integrity, diplomacy and political acumen in all business interactions; and
- Substantial experience in building, managing, and leading multiple teams.
Special Working Conditions:
- Physical requirements are varied including, but not limited to, working at a desk, lifting, and standing for extended periods of time;
- As a large portion of this position takes place outside, the individual must be prepared to work in a variety of weather conditions;
- This position requires a great level of focus and physical fitness;
- Various scheduled hours of work including possible weekends, statutory holidays, fluctuating hours and overtime as required (holidays will be scheduled around Heritage Park peak periods); and
- This position requires being on 24 hour call out in case of emergencies.
- OR -
Send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 1900 Heritage Drive SW, Calgary, AB T2V 2X3 or fax (403) 268-8554.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.