Banff Royal North West Mounted Police Barracks
In 1873, alarmed by the lawlessness engendered by the whiskey trade in the Western provinces, the Canadian government created the North West Mounted Police. This building was originally the second floor of one of the structures that formed the first NWMP detachment in Banff, which was established in 1887.
That year, the detachment also grew from two constables to 14 men because of Banff's potential as a popular tourist destination. William Aubin bought this building for use as his residence in 1910, and donated it to Heritage Park in 1964.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map