Berry Creek North West Mounted Police Barracks
This NWMP outpost was built 145 kilometres east of Calgary in June 1905 to prevent horse rustling, possibly by the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang of Montana. The outpost was donated to Heritage Park by Harold Forster Industries Ltd. in 1977.
Heavily armed bands of outlaws used to sweep up from the coulees of the Missouri River to make periodic raids upon lonely Alberta ranches, and then drive their pilfered booty back across the border. The Mounted Police of the Berry Creek detachment, under Sergeant Munday, made regular patrols of the surrounding countryside to prevent such thievery. Due to the vigilance of the NWMP, and the effectiveness of their regular patrols, the horse and cattle rustling in the region was greatly reduced - so much so that the Berry Creek detachment was deemed unnecessary in 1915.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map