Cochrane Fire Hall
Robert Chapman, then a carpenter who would later become fire chief, built the Cochrane Fire Hall himself on April 15, 1909, to house the two fire engines the department had just purchased. In those days, the fire chief also acted as constable and sanitary inspector for a salary of $5 per month, and was assisted by the 12 men of the Cochrane Volunteer Fire Brigade.
The engine in the fire hall is a 1915 American LaFrance chain-driven auxiliary pumper, powered by a No. 13 marine engine. Originally, the Cochrane Fire Hall housed two hand-drawn, 60-gallon chemical engines of the Obenchain-Boyer type, and also contained a bedroom for the night watchman, and a meeting room for the town council. The Town of Cochrane donated the hall to Heritage Park in 1964, while the LaFrance engine was donated by the Glenbow Foundation.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map