High River Law Office
The economic and population boom experienced in Southern Alberta between the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway and the First World War lured many adventurous young lawyers west from Manitoba and Ontario.
They could do very well for themselves in towns still relatively free from competition by seeing to the legal needs of the new settlers and businesses, and assisting the railway with its legal affairs. Cases involving property law occupied much of these lawyers' time. Alexander McCorquodale, a native of Manitoba, was the second lawyer to occupy this law office in High River, arriving in 1908 and setting up shop in 1909 for about 40 years. The Calgary Bar Association donated the building in 1967, after using it for a display at the Calgary Stampede. The law office was restored between 1993 and 1996.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map