Between 1901 and 1911, nearly a million immigrants arrived at Western Canadian train stations such as this one. For most, the train station would represent the end of a long, grueling journey and the start of a new life. However, it would remain a prominent fixture in their lives because it was at the train station that they would receive mail-order shipments and relatives joining them in the West.
Shepard, now a suburb of Calgary, was a full day's journey east of the burgeoning town in the 1880s. It would become the place where the Canadian Pacific Railway line split to go northeast to Strathmore, and southeast to Gleichen and Medicine Hat. This station was built in Shepard in 1910, and was probably the second station built there. Records indicate that the first was just a small, unmanned flag station.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map