This cabin was originally built in 1931 by Bert Pendergast near the Trans Canada Highway in Canmore, and is reminiscent of the 'base camp' cabin a trapper would set up at the start of an extensive series of trapping lines. Trappers would outfit their main cabins with pots, traps, bait, toboggans, an axe, flour, tea, tobacco, cans of food and tools. It was inside this type of cabin that trappers would skin and dry the hides of the animals they caught before bringing them to a trader like the Hudson's Bay Company.
In 1870, the Hudson's Bay Company's monopoly on the fur trade ended and independent traders and trappers flourished. Many settlers started trapping during the winter when there was little work to be done on the farm and this was also when an animal's fur was at its thickest and best quality. In the spring, trappers would bring their furs to a trader, hoping for a good price. Fur prices fluctuated greatly, and trappers never got rich from their efforts; they did, however, greatly satisfy their sense of adventure.