Wolffe and McVittie Cabin
Archibald McVittie, a Dominion Lands Surveyor, had this cabin built on the west side of the Elbow River in 1882 upon receiving firsthand information that a Canadian Pacific Railway station would be placed there.
The cabin was built from driftwood, logs, lumber scraps and packing crates, and was one of the first houses built in Calgary. McVittie, who surveyed the Fort Macleod townsite in 1883, and the Calgary townsite in 1884, lived in this building with his brother Thomas and partner Mr. Wolffe. McVittie hosted Calgary's first Masonic meeting here, and much later the cabin was used as a gift shop at the Calgary Zoo, and in 1965, J.B. Cross donated it to Heritage Park.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map