Danish immigrant J.P. Hansen constructed this building in Standard, Alberta in 1912. The Hansen family lived upstairs, and operated a general store and undertaking business on the premises. Heritage Park remodeled the building to create a working bakery based on C.T. Gilbert's Alberta Bakery, which operated in Calgary during the first decade of the 20th century.
During the settlement period of western Canada, most women baked the family's daily bread at home. Most bakeries sold their goods to bachelors, people planning a special occasion or those simply looking for a change from their plain, everyday fare. Standard Co-Op Ltd. donated the building in 1976 and Nu-West Development Corporation donated funds for its assembly and restoration.