Botsford Harness Shop
In the newly settled villages of the Canadian Prairies, one of the first businesses to open was a harness shop. Everybody needed tack for their horses or oxen, and saddles, yokes, horse collars and harnesses were always in high demand.
From 1884 to 1908 the population of Langdon, Alberta, grew from 10 to 800. Oscar Botsford had constructed his hardware and harness shop in 1906 to take advantage of the boom. Besides making and repairing harnesses from the Langdon and Dalemead area, Botsford also repaired shoes, sold hardware and mended canvas, often before an audience of the town's children. The Municipal District of Rockyview No. 44 sold the building to Heritage Park for the nominal sum of one dollar in 1965.More Attractions & Exhibits View Interactive Map