The carousel was a staple of carnival midways and parks at the turn of the last century, and this particular model was built by the Herschell-Spillman Company of North Tonawanda, New York, in 1904.
It may have ferried its first young riders in Louisville, Kentucky, but it was definitely sold to the amusement park at Winnipeg Beach in 1906, where it was used until 1919. The carousel was then sold for $2,000 to the Calgary Municipal Railway and installed at Bowness Park. The City of Calgary gave the aging ride to Heritage Park in 1969, and in 1990, it underwent a major restoration. This model would have originally been equipped with a steam-operated military-band organ, but sadly the organ went missing before the carousel arrived at Heritage Park.