Several towns in Alberta, including Lethbridge, Strathcona, Bassano and Coleman, established their first hospitals in cottages. These cottage hospitals were small, temporary and poor, and did not have proper antiseptics or sanitary measures by our standards, with surgery often conducted on the dining room table.
Peter Dewar built this gingerbread trim house in 1907, and it was briefly owned by Martin Pallesen, owner of Calgary Central Creamery. As the long-time home of Norah Main, the house was the site of Calgary's Temple School of Spiritual Learning. The house was donated to Heritage Park by Eau Claire Estates Ltd. in 1979, and many of the furnishings were donated by the Main family. Heritage Park restored the house as a Cottage Hospital in 1991 and built the replica garage the following year. Amoco Petroleum Company Ltd. and Imperial Oil Ltd. both donated funds for its restoration.