In 1911, an amateur geologist named William Stewart Herron discovered oil seeping through the ground in the foothills south of Calgary. He didn't know it then, but his discovery would launch Alberta's oil industry. Herron hired Archibald Wayne Dingman to supervise the drilling, and the two founded Calgary Petroleum Products (CPP). With the help of prominent investors, the company started drilling the Calgary Petroleum Products No. 1 Well (informally known as the Dingman Well), and struck oil on May 14, 1914 at 2,700'.
This gusher, whose gasoline was so pure it could power a car without any refining, caused great excitement and initiated Alberta's first oil boom. The Park built this replica of the Dingman No. 1 Discovery Well in 1965 using hardware salvaged from an oil derrick in British Columbia. Like the original Dingman Well, this replica uses cable-tool drilling as opposed to rotary drilling, which was a less expensive form of drilling used before the 1930s.