This fort was built by Heritage Park in 1965 to illustrate the important role played by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), which once established posts as far flung as Alaska, B.C.'s Northern Pacific Coast, Oregon and Labrador, in the economic, social and resource development of Canada.
Heritage Park originally designed the HBC structure as a replica of the second fur trading fort built in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, in 1835. The forts were each staffed by approximately 30 labourers, interpreters, clerks, apprentice clerks and traders, and headed by one chief trader or chief factor. This particular fort was used as a backdrop for a film celebrating the Hudson’s Bay Company's tricentennial.