The barn was built c.1878, and the house c.1883, by Sam Livingston, an innovative farmer who was once contracted to supply fresh meat to the North West Mounted Police at Fort Calgary; Livingston was also one of Calgary's earliest settlers.
Livingston travelled extensively before finally claiming his permanent homestead in the beautiful Elbow River Valley. Livingston built his two-storey log house to accommodate his growing family, while the cabin later became a granary, bunkhouse, barn and garage. Heritage Park Historical Village now occupies part of the former Livingston farm. Livingston died in 1897 and his land was eventually bought in 1930 by the City of Calgary, which donated the house and barn to Heritage Park in 1964. The exhibit was restored in 1968.