Before the automobile became Alberta's most popular form of transportation, livery stables could be found in virtually every city, town and village. Besides renting out saddles, carriages and horses, livery stables also allowed people to stable their horses in the barn for as a few hours to as long as several months.
Henry Winsor built his livery stable in the town of Nanton, Alberta, in about 1905, and the Enterprise Livery Barn saw a variety of owners and operators over the years. It also served as a taxi stand, a truck depot and as a shelter for an ill-fated pumice business. In 1967, the Rotary Club of Calgary donated $10,000 toward the stable's relocation to Heritage Park and its restoration.