Before the 1870s, the Hudson's Bay Company controlled the mail in Western Canada. In 1874, the North West Mounted Police began acting as postmasters for the region. It wasn't until 1883 that Calgary's first post office opened in Bannerman's Hay, Flour and Feed Store.
Since they didn't take up much room, many post offices were placed in corners of businesses, such as general stores, or in private homes. This particular structure was built by Rasmus Skov in 1908, in Cayley, about 60 kilometres south of Calgary. The switchboard in the office is a 1240 magneto switchboard, which is connected to 16 lines around the Park. The building was sold to Heritage Park in 1964 for $500.