Peter Anthony Prince was a lumber and hydroelectricity magnate who, as the story goes, obtained an exclusive contract to provide Calgary with electricity after taking a fall on an unlit sidewalk.
Mr. Prince formed the Calgary Water Power Company in 1890, built a dam on the Bow River to harness hydroelectricity, and later became involved in other business ventures in Calgary, including a flour mill, a meat-packing plant, grain elevators and a brewery. In 1894, Prince built this house for his family on the west end of town. It is believed that he based the design of his house on the plan of a cottage in Glenbrook, Connecticut, published in the November 1893 edition of Scientific American. The Prince House was preserved and relocated to Heritage Park in 1967, thanks to donations by Alberta Natural Gas Co., Alberta & Southern Gas Co., and various private citizens.