A rectory was a luxury few parishes could afford to supply their clergymen. Early rural settlers were generally quite poor, and this was reflected in the amount of money that the settlers could afford to tithe to their church. Often, two or three settlements miles apart would band together to jointly pay for the services of a minister, meaning their minister would travel all day on Sundays to preach before his assorted congregations.
Only a few ministers were willing to leave the established and comfortable parishes of Eastern Canada's urban centres for a life of undoubted hardship, weekly travel and privation in the West. This house was built by Ernest Wyndham, a rancher and ferryman, in 1899 near Carseland, Alberta, about 30 kilometres southeast of Calgary. It was donated to Heritage Park in 1964 by the family of a former owner.