The River Forth began its service in 1929 as a Solarium Parlour Observation car and was converted ten years later to a compartment lounge sleeping car. The car was modified two more times by the CPR; in 1964 it became a business car and in 1974 it was converted to a work car. The fifth and final conversion of the River Forth into a luxury dining car was completed in June of 2015 by Heritage Park.
The River Forth Dining Car is only available during separate ticketed events, and as a private event venue. It does not run during regular operating hours.