The chartered banks of Central Canada were eager to acquire revenue in the rapidly expanding communities of the West, providing banking services to new settlers and investing in the emerging agricultural and mining industries.
Colin McDougall Bertram, sent to open a branch of the Traders Bank of Canada in Munson, Alberta, worked out of a tent for a few months while the building was constructed in 1910. When it was finished, the second floor contained three bedrooms and a living room for the bank's unmarried staff, plus a slot in the ceiling above the vault door, which allowed those employees to aim a gun at potential burglars. The Royal Bank of Canada purchased the Traders Bank of Canada in 1912, and in 1932, the Munson branch of the Royal Bank was closed. The village of Munson and the Royal Bank donated the building and furnishings to Heritage Park in 1965.