Festival of Quilts
Saturday, May 27 & Sunday, May 28, 2017
10:00am - 5:00pm
It’s the 22nd anniversary of the Festival of Quilts, and we have a lot in store for Western Canada’s largest outdoor quilt show! The theme for 2017 is My Canada. Hundreds of stunning handmade quilts of all shapes, sizes and techniques will decorate the Park's exhibits inside and out.
Whether you’re an avid quilter or simply enjoy viewing the beautiful work there is quilting fun to be had all over the Park:
- Wander over to the Merchants' Mall where a variety of businesses from across western Canada will be offering the 'latest and greatest' from the quilting community.
- Quilt Community Showcase - Visit with guild members to discover what quilters in Calgary are working on.
- How-to demonstrations will inspire your creativity
- Meet the 2017 Quilter of Distinction Trudy Cowan
- Special display – Heritage Park Vintage Quilts from our very own vault. This is the perfect opportunity for Heritage Park to display some of the wonderful quilts that have been donated to the Park, some of them over 100 years old!
- Festival of Quilts Dinner - Enjoy a sumptuous three-course dinner and then relax for an evening of entertainment with Judith Baker Montano as she presents “Crazy Quilt Journeys”. For more information and tickets, please contact Guest Services at 403.268.8500
- Iron Quilt Challenge - Machines and fingers will fly when you come and see three teams of four square off for the first ever Festival of Quilts iron Quilt Challenge! Sat. May 27 from 10:30am - 12:30pm teams will have just two hours to complete a small quilt
Festival of Quilts Workshops
New for 2017 - Join internationally recognized Judith Baker Montano for three separate 1-day workshops.
For more information and to register, please contact Guest Services at 403.268.8500. Tickets on sale Dec 12, 2016!
Fee per workshop - $124.99+GST (Includes pastries, coffee/tea and lunch)
Workshop #1 –Landscape Paintings, May 24, 2017, 9am – 4pm
Create a small unusual fabric painting using fabrics threads, yarns and ribbons.
(Can be a land or seascape) Can be beaded and embellished for extra detail. 8”x10” or 5”x7” picture when finished. Must bring a matt with a 5” x 7” or 8” x 10” opening.
Workshop #2 – Crazy Quilting-Basic, May 25, 2017, 9am – 4pm
Create a beautiful crazy quilt square using the Montano Center Piece Method of machine piecing for the base work. Judith shows how to create fan shapes, convex/concave circles and mitered rectangles to create an overall mosaic look. The afternoon features embroidery, and embellishments.
Workshop #3 – Embellishments: Those Little Extras, May 26, 2017, 9am – 4pm
*This class can be an extension of Basic Crazy Quilting. Bring a crazy quilt square instead of the black fanbric.
Create an 8”x10” floral sampler using various embroidery stitches, ribbon roses, satin leaves, silk ribbon stitches and knotted stitches. Use buttons and beads to create flowers. Use ruching techniques and spider webs to finish off the piece. All these techniques pertain to crazy quilting, clothing design and landscape design.
For more information and to register, please contact Guest Services at 403.268.8500.
With hundreds of quilts on display, a fabulous Merchants' Mall, the Quilt Community Showcase, how-to demonstrations and more, consider purchasing a consecutive two-day admission to the Park. For more information please call 403.268.8500.
Quilt take-in day is MAY 23, 2017
May 27 10:00 am - May 27, 5:00 pm
Heritage Park Historical Village
May 28 10:00 am - May 28, 5:00 pm
Heritage Park Historical Village