September 28 & 29, 2019
There is fun for the whole family at Railway Days! Heritage Park’s extraordinary rail collection takes centre stage for two days with demonstrations, hands-on activities, and exciting exhibits.
Regular Heritage Park admission rates in effect. Complimentary admission for Heritage Park annual pass holders.
Unique Rail Experiences
- Talks and book signings by Terry Gainer, author of “When Trains Ruled the Rockies”
- View a 1920 rail crane - the only working 100-ton rail steam crane in Canada!
- Double-heading of Heritage Park’s two steam locomotives
- Learn about the many functions of railway stations and their integral part in the development of Western Canada
- Demonstrations with 1907 turntable
- Hand and whistle signal presentation
- Insider tours of steam engine cab
- Demonstration of taking on water from a 1902-model tower
- Caboose rides, with a few special cupola seats
- Send a telegram from one rail station, pick it up at another – and keep the free souvenir!
- Visit the recently restored Colonist Car – one of only two in existence!
- Relive the great western rail adventure, with history & restoration tours of this national treasure, and an interactive living statue.
- Train Order Operations showcase: How do you get a message aboard a moving train? Learn about the life of a station agent.
- Model rail displays all around the Park
- Roving performances by our singing hobos
Pre-purchase your ride in Heritage Park’s 1912 caboose, and avoid disappointment. Once a year, lucky guests can enjoy the experience of riding in this special car!
River Forth Lunches
The River Forth 1920’s dining car will be pulled by steam engine around Heritage Park, with lunch being served onboard. This unique fine dining experience is complete with a historically-inspired menu, and includes a glass of wine, appetizer, choice of main course, dessert, and coffee or tea. Journey back in time and savour a taste of the golden age of luxury rail travel aboard the River Forth.
Railway Days Photo Contest
Share your photographic talents at Heritage Park to win cash and prizes! Submit your photos on the 2019 theme “These Rails Can Talk”. Entries and votes will be accepted until September 22, 2019.
The top 20 photos receiving the most votes online, will receive free admission to Railway Days, and have their work displayed digitally at the rail photo exhibit at Railway Days.
The top 3 juried winners will receive free admission to Railway Days, have their worked displayed on canvas at Railway Days, keep their canvas print, and receive a cash prize!
1st place: $100 2nd place: $50 3rd place: $25
Railway Days Colouring Contest
Calling young artists! We invite you to submit one of these Heritage Park colouring pages (click to download and print):
The top ten entries in each age category will win one free admission to Railway Days, and the #1 entry in each age category will win a rail-themed prize pack from Heritage Park!
Fill in your contact details, and drop off your colouring page at the Heritage Park Administration Office, or mail it to:
Railway Days Colouring Contest
1900 Heritage Drive SW
Calgary, AB T2V 2X3
Submissions will be accepted until September 22, 2019. View full colouring contest rules.
Regular Heritage Park admission rates in effect. Pre-purchase your admission online.