September 24 & 25, 2016
There is fun for the whole family at Railway Days! As one of the few sites in North America with two steam locomotives, our trains take centre stage for two days with demonstrations, hands-on activities, and exciting exhibits.
Rare Rail Experiences
- Taking on water from a 1902-model tower
- Demonstrations with original 1907 turntable
- Hand & whistle signal presentation
- Special insider tour of steam locomotive cab
- Caboose rides, with a few special cupola seats
- IT’S BACK! - Send a real telegraph from one rail station, and pick it up at another – keep the free souvenir!
- Hooping orders to the engineer on our moving train
- Ride a hand car down the rails!
- Rail Car Shop: Tour some of the rarest rail cars in Canada. Learn their stories of immigrants, royalty, and rail tycoons.
- Plow & Spreader showcase: Find out how you keep a train running through snowed-in mountain passes.
- Steam Crane restoration: Hear about Heritage Park’s steam crane, soon to be the only working model in Canada!
- NEW! – Calgary’s Railway Story: Discover how our railroad shaped this city.
- Singing hobos: Enjoy vintage tunes in four-part acappella from our rolling box car.
Model Rail Exhibits
Come see exciting displays from model rail clubs, with new locations around the Park!
Kids’ Railway Challenge
Try four rail activities, collect four stampsand enter to win a $500 prize pack, including a Heritage Park ‘Family & Friends’ Annual Pass Plus and a $200 gift card for Trains and Such. Activities include:
- NEW – Hobo camp: learn the secret language to survive
- NEW – Railway Car Shop: try one of five fun activity books
- Model train fun: Learn how to make a LEGO rail car
- Conductor’s class: Know how to direct a train like a pro!
Pre-purchase your ride in Heritage Park’s very own caboose. Once a year, lucky guests can enjoy the rare experience of riding in this special rail car! Limited cupola seats are available at $15 + GST. Regular caboose tickets are $7 + GST. Call 403-268-8500 to purchase. Advance tickets can be picked up at Midnapore Info Booth at the event. All rides depart from Laggan Station. Latecomers may not be accommodated.
Railway Days Photo Contest
Submit your photo on the theme “Working on the Railroad” online for a chance to win cash prizes and free admission to Railway Days. Submissions accepted August 2 to September 15, 2016. Details coming soon.
Engineer for a Day Raffle
Win a ride, for you and a guest, in our steam engine cab. Raffle tickets are on sale now, and are $5 each, or five for $20. The draw is on September 26, 2016 at Heritage Park. Tickets may only be purchased or sold within Alberta. Purchase yours online, or call 403-268-8500.
River Forth Dining Car at Railway Days
NEW - River Forth Breakfasts
Enjoy exclusive early entry to see a train hook-up, continental breakfast aboard our stationary 1920s dining car, and presentation on historical rail dining. Table of 2 - $69.90+GST* • Table of 4 - $139.80+GST*. September 24 & 25, 2016, 9:30 am - 11:00 am.
Tickets are available by tables of two or four only.
View menu and full breakfast event schedule here.
River Forth Lunches
Historically inspired, 3-course lunch aboard an elegant 1920s dining car. Table of 2 – $129.90+gst* • Table of 4 – $259.80+gst*. September 24 & 25, 2016, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
View menu and full lunch event schedule here.
Please call 403-268-8500 for River Forth Breakfast and Lunch tickets.
*Park admission is not included in the ticket price. Discounted admission is available for those attending the breakfast and/or lunch. Please inquire when booking.