September 22 & 23, 2018
There is fun for the whole family at Railway Days! Heritage Park’s extraordinary rail collection takes centre stage for two days with demonstrations, hands-on activities, and exciting exhibits. Come experience the great western rail adventure!
Unique Rail Experiences
- Demonstrations with 1920 rail crane - the only working 100-ton rail steam crane in Canada!
- Double-heading of Heritage Park’s two steam locomotives
- Demonstration of Fairmont motor car
- Demonstrations with 1907 turntable
- Hand and whistle signal presentation
- Insider tours of steam engine cab
- Demonstration of taking on water from a 1902-model tower
- Caboose rides, with a few special cupola seats
- Hooping orders to the engineer on our moving train
- Send a telegraph from one rail station, pick it up at another – and keep the free souvenir!
- Grand Opening of the newly restored 1905 Colonist Car – one of only two in existence!
- Relive the great western rail adventure, with history & restoration tours of this national treasure, and an interactive living statue.
- Plow & Spreader showcase: Tour the inside of our 1911 rail snow plow, and learn what it takes to keep a train running through the deep snow of the Canadian Rockies.
- Mail Crane showcase: How do you get mail aboard a moving train? Learn about the magic of mail by rail.
Kids’ Railway Challenge
Try four fun rail activities, collect the stamps, and enter to win a prize pack including a Family & Friends Express Pass – retail value of $225!
- Model train fun
- Hobo secrets
- Conductors’ class
- NEW – Storytime
- Model rail displays all around the Park
- Roving performances by our singing hobos
- Hand car rides… and more!
Pre-purchase your ride in Heritage Park’s 1912 caboose, and avoid disappointment. Once a year, lucky guests can enjoy the experience of riding in this special car! Regular tickets are $7 +GST. Cupola tickets (four per ride), are $15 +GST. Call 403-268-8500 to purchase. Limited tickets are available at the event at Town Hall. All rides depart from Laggan Station. Latecomers may not be accommodated.
River Forth Lunches
The River Forth 1920’s dining car will be pulled by steam engine around Heritage Park, with lunch being served onboard. This unique fine dining experience is complete with a historically-inspired menu, and includes a glass of wine, appetizer, choice of main course, dessert, and coffee or tea. Journey back in time and savour a taste of the golden age of luxury rail travel aboard the River Forth.
Limited reservations are available Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23. Tickets are $68.95+GST per person. Tickets are available by tables of two or four only. Please call Guest Services for reservations at 403.268.8500.
NEW - Railway Days Colouring Contest
Calling young artists! We invite you to submit one of these Heritage Park colouring pages (click to download and print):
The top ten entries in each age category will win one free admission to Railway Days, and the #1 entry in each age category will win a rail-themed prize pack from Heritage Park!
Fill in your contact details, and drop off your colouring page at the Heritage Park Administration Office, or mail it to:
Railway Days Colouring Contest
1900 Heritage Drive SW
Calgary, AB T2V 2X3
Submissions will be accepted until September 16, 2018. Click here to view full colouring contest rules.
Railway Days Photo Contest
Share your photographic talents at Heritage Park to win cash and prizes! Submit your photos on the 2018 theme “The Great Western Rail Adventure” to email@example.com or on Facebook. Entries and votes will be accepted August 1 - September 16, 2018.
The top 20 photos receiving the most votes online, will receive free admission to Railway Days, and have their work displayed digitally at the rail photo exhibit at Railway Days.
The top 3 juried winners will receive free admission to Railway Days, have their worked displayed on canvas at Railway Days, keep their canvas print, and receive a cash prize!
1st place: $100 2nd place: $50 3rd place: $25
September 22 10:00 am - September 22, 5:00 pm
Throughout Heritage Park
September 23 10:00 am - September 23, 5:00 pm
Throughout Heritage Park